COTA’s entry to sustainable fueling
Bowen led this project to design and engineer a new CNG compressing plant and fueling station, all of which would be located at the eastern end of the McKinley Avenue Bus facility. This CNG plant and fueling station is currently the largest in the State of Ohio. It is designed for a mature fleet of 250 buses, each of which can be fueled in approximately 6 minutes. This required numerous facility upgrades in order to be code compliant.
This phase of the McKinley Avenue Renovation included the following:
- Addition of the exterior fueling islands that include four fueling lanes and one bypass lane.
- Addition of a new CNG building for lineup office room, future cash room, utility room, storage room, rest room, and Mechanical/Electrical rooms.
- Addition of a new CNG compressor plant.
- Addition of a new Generator.
- Reconfigured parking area.
- Upgraded mechanical systems as required by NFPA.
- Upgraded maintenance and bus storage areas to meet Class I Div II as required in the NFPA 30A Chapter 12 and Chapter 8.
- Reconfigured bus route and added/replaced all overhead doors.
- Cleaned and painted the roof of the maintenance and bus storage areas.
- Replaced all lighting in the maintenance and bus storage areas.